Sunday, October 17, 2010

Introductions

Hi. I'm Abby. This is my gathering of days: a collection of sights, sounds, thoughts, and stories that I'd like to share with you.

Really, the main reason I'm doing this is to start writing on a regular basis again. Like a lot of would-be writers, I let my love of words be pushed aside by other interests (in this case, American history, busy college life, and a surprising decision to learn how to teach), and for a while they were enough. But lately, I've been missing writing. Missing the feeling of losing myself in some other place and idea. So I'm starting slow, with this blog as my practice ring. I hope you'll come along for the ride.

About the Name
A Gathering of Days is most famously the title of Joan W. Blos' Newbery-winning novel, which chronicles two years in the life of a girl living in nineteenth century America. I just love the imagery of it: it makes me think of a basket full of days, kept close to sift through in quiet moments.

(And yes, all right, I'm a history nerd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment